I separated the fat quarter bundle into 3 different fabric groupings. The first bundle of fabrics for the quilt were navy, gold/yellow, gray, and a little brown.
I was looking for a solid fabric to compliment the prints, and nothing screams summer like a natural linen fabric. Rumor has it that linen shrinks considerably compared to the quilting cotton, so I washed my linen yardage first.
I cut the fabric into 5 inch squares and mapped out a patchwork quilt pattern. I randomly selected print fabrics and alternated them with the natural linen fabric. Well, it was mostly random, my only rule was that the printed fabrics have to be more than 2 blocks away from the same print. The semi-randomly placement of the fabrics worked out pretty well, with only a few re-arrangements to get the final quilt layout set.
Now I have the quilt top fully pieced and I am trying to decide on backing and a quilt pattern. Part of me wants to buy some yardage of one of the Echo prints to complete the back, but maybe I can fish some yardage out of the stash. Not sure yet, but hopefully I will get the quilt finished soon. My quilting time is definitely dwindling now that knitting season is in full swing, so we shall see.