Monday, February 28, 2011

Folksy Flannels Workings

I have been busy. I am crafting a flannel baby quilt using Anna Maria Horner's "Folksy Flannels" collection. Hubby gave me a fat quarter bundle of the entire collection for Christmas an I am finally putting them to use!

Let me first say that I have been groping these flannels since Christmas. I have never worked with flannel before, but let me tell you these cut like butter and iron like a dream! It has been a pleasure.

You all know that I have a love affair with hourglass and double-hourglass blocks (as seen here and here). I had an idea to make a large scale hourglass quilt to really showcase the Folksy Flannels fabric, because boy is it gorgeous. 

Here are the flannels I chose for the quilt. I tried to pick girly colors so that this could be a girly quilt:

 (Each block was cut to 10.25 inches x 10.25 inches)

(Each block was paired up with an off-white solid flannel)


Now I tried cutting these blocks up without messing them up too much:



 (Cut #1)

 (Cut #2)



 (All sliced and diced)

 (Spent about an hour at the ironing board pressing all the seams)


Putting the quilt together:

 (Version No. 1. Notice that each hourglass block is paired up with the same fabrics)

 (Version No. 2: All mixed up)

Which option did I choose? 
 
(All mixed up! I think it spaced out the blues and yellow tones better and I love how it turned out!)

 (Blocks are all sewed together, pressed, and cut to 9.25 inches x 9.25 inches)

 (Piecing the quilt top together)


 (All pieced together! A complete quilt top)

(Getting ready to baste)


That is where I left off with this quilt. I am having trouble finding the right backing. Oh how I wish Anna Maria had solid flannels because these Joann flannels are not even a close substitute. A Hobby Lobby just opened down the street from my house, so I plan on taking a trip down there to try and find the perfect backing and binding. Wish me luck!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment