Monday, August 13, 2012

Food Preserving {Eggplant Cutlets}

Given that this is the first year we've ever had a real vegetable patch to call our own, this is one of the first times we've had to consider how to preserve our precious crop.



Our most abundant crop to date has been the eggplant. We are growing the Black Beauty variety, and they are big and gorgeous. We could have eaten all of the eggplant, if that was the only thing we planned to eat for the next two weeks. Obviously, that is not something we wanted to do. Remember, I am a rationer after all.
My husband loves Eggplant Parmesan. It is probably his favorite dish ever. I can't say that it is my favorite (I'd much rather have a big juicy ribeye), but I definitely love it. 

We thought that the best way to preserve the amazing eggplant plucked from our garden was to make cutlets and freeze the cutlets after they were cooked/fried. 




We have been following a VERY GOOD America's Test Kitchen recipe for eggplant cutlets. The recipe actually calls for white bread pulsed in a food processor rather than any breadcrumbs at all. It is phenomenal.




It was definitely a cook-two-eat-four type of situation for a while there. It was almost like we had never seen food before.



Needless to say, we were sad to Put These Babies in the Corner of our freezer, but it will make meal planning/weekly cooking easier for me, and we can enjoy the eggplant all fall. 


1 comment:

  1. I came to your site while googling for a way to preserve eggplant, and it looks like this is it for me. Those things look so good I could scrape them off my monitor and eat them. ATK does bake theirs, but I so prefer frying them, especially in my good coconut oil. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete