Monday, April 25, 2011

A Finished Folksy Flannels Quilt!

I finished this fantastic little crib quilt which I started and blogged about here

I ended up trying a new basting method, spray basting. I previously only used the safety pin basting method and it was always kind of a pain. I read this tutorial from Ashley @ Film in the Fridge and was easily convinced to try spray basting out.  


 


To be honest, it was SOOO easy. I really thought the process was rather effortless, and I followed her to tutorial to a T, but I did use a different spray (because I couldn't find the 505 in the actual store). I may never pin baste again.

(Getting ready to quilt)



Quilting with the spray basting was a dream. I just did straight-line quilting on either side of the seams up and down the quilt. I wanted the quilt to keep its soft flannel feel with a nice flexible drape.




It took me almost 2 days to decide on the binding. I really should plan out all elements of a quilt before I get going, but I get too excited and jump right in. I didn't want to cut into anymore of the Folksy Flannels and I didn't like the feel of quilting cotton next to the flannel at all, but I did find a great deep purple colored cotton-linen blend (I think) at the bottom of my stash, so I went with it. The quilt is pretty girly (as intended) but I didn't want it to be TOO girly by adding pink as binding, so I think that the purple is perfect. I machine stitch my binding and it is an amazing time saver as well.




And finito! A finished Folksy Flannels quilt!




Quilt Stats:
- Fabric is 1/2 a fat quarter pack of Anna Maria Horner's Folksy Flannels (the girl colors, then blue)
- Batting is Warm and White 100% cotton
- Backing is some more from Anna Maria Horner's Folksy Flannels
- Binding is a plum cotton-linen blend
- Finished size is 50 in x 40 in crib quilt
 



I looooveee it. The project was stalled back in February when I couldn't decide on backing fabric (surprise surprise, I can never decide on backing).  All in all, I would definitely spray baste again and I would HIGHLY recommend using any of Anna Maria Horner's fabrics, she is amazing and I love them. 

See my finished projects in my flickr account. 

I have also marked another project off my bucket list!  Yess!

xoxoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment