Monday, May 14, 2012

Angel Food Cake + Lemon Curd = LOVE

Everyone that knows me, knows that I pretty much hate cake. I see no real need for cake in the world. It is a waste of calories, a waste of space, a waste of time, yadda yadda yadda. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE DESSERT. I love cheesecake, pie, fruit tarts, tiramisu, creme brulee, icecream, brownies, etc. I just have no desire to eat a piece of cake, like ever.  HOWEVER, Angel Food Cake has a secret place in my heart. Every sense I was little, my mom has always served it to us. Angel food cake, whip cream, and berries was served at least monthly at our table. My mom also said that she would give us each our own for birthdays. That sounds about right.
Given that my mom came to visit for Mother's Day, I thought I would make an old favorite, with a twist. I think that I've blogged about it before, but ever since my mother-in-law introduced me to the amazingness that is lemon curd last year, I just can't get enough of it. I thought to myself, what would be doubly-amazing? Angel food cake layered with lemon curd!!!



Here are some in process shots from making both the curd and the cake:



(Don't you love this little owl citrus reamer? Isn't it the cutest! My very best girlfriend Tricia (over at www.serenityfairmaiden.blogpspot.com) bought it for me a few years ago. It was likely from Anthropologie, as we are fiends for that store.)



(THE GLORY THAT IS LEMON CURD! I've made it several times now, and this batch actually turned out a little more pale, thick and less tart. The lemons were organic, but they must not have been the best. It was amazing all the same though.)




Ta-Da! Yes, I know that the monstrous dollop of whipped cream was totally not necessary, but it made this Mother's Day dessert perfect. What I didn't take a picture of was the blueberries and raspberries I added to the pile. That made it even better than perfect. 



Wooohooo! Another item checked off of my bucket list! I have been wanting to make a layered cake for a while now, and this little number presented the perfect opportunity. Check out the "Finished Projects" page on this blog for everything I've completed to date. I've added this item to my "Finished FOOD" Flickr account.  


FYI, you MUST make this! It is the perfect dessert for a warm sunny day!


HOLLER!

1 comment:

  1. Laur this looks phenomenal!!! I would love the recipe :)
    and of course I loved the shoutout and the owl pick - I always buy them for you then secretly go home and pout that I didn't buy myself a matching one lol xoxo keep up this crafting - I live thru u :)

    ReplyDelete