Monday, July 4, 2011

No More Bento!

I finally finished up the Bento Box quilt that I have been working on seemingly FOREVER.

My little cousin graduated high school last weekend and I thought that it would be the perfect quilt for her. Naturally, I didn't decide this until 2 nights before graduation, and the quilt was still not bound. I really wanted to try out hand-binding this time around too, so that added to the pressure!

I worked like a mad woman trying to finish the binding on this quilt, and did so just in time for her post graduation luncheon. I was 10 minutes late, but I beat some other family members there, so it was worth it.

It took me a while to get into the hand binding groove. Once I did though, I REALLY got going. 

Unfortunately, I was in such a rush finishing and gifting this quilt that I completely forgot to label it or take any photos of it bound. WOOPS! My uncle snapped a shot of my cousin Taylor and I with the quilt, but I haven't received a copy yet. 

I ended up binding the quilt in a royal blue-ish solid cotton fabric. It really looked great! 

Because I have no final photos, here are some of my favorites from the series:

 (Cutting out the fabrics)

 (Initial blocks put together)

 (Cut up and arranged for the bento)

 (Quilt top all pieced)

 (Quilt top all basted)

 (Chugging along on the sewing machine)

 (All quilted)

(Backed in a gorgeous Soul Blossoms fabric)


Project Stats:

  • Fabric from Amy Butler's Soul Blossoms line in the Bliss colorway
  • Measures about 75x60 inches. I think that makes it a lap quilt.
  • Warm & White 100% cotton batting
  • Started the quilt on March 3, 2011 and finished on June 25, 2011. That means it took me almost 4 months to finished this one. BOO! BUT, there were 7 blog posts about the quilt, which means it took me 7 sewing sittings to get it finished. That's not too bad, right?
  • It was gifted to my beautiful little cousin Taylor to bring to college 
  • Blog posts can be found here:
Ooo, this is another item off my bucket list! You can see this finished project at my flickr page along with all of my other finished projects.

As of right now I have been finishing projects at a pace of about 2 projects a month. I was hoping to have a new project each week, but, that's life right? With the moving coming up this month, I hope that I don't slow down to even less than 2 completed projects a month.

xoxo

1 comment:

  1. thats a great gift! im sure your cousin was thrilled :)

    ReplyDelete